background

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Jack's still cool... in case you were wondering

hiking up the backside of the dam at El Dorado lake
Enjoying some time at the park with Mom
riding scooters with his cousin Emma
Jack is as cool as ever, and seems to be growing up  before our eyes. He is so observant, and seems to absorb everything that goes on around him.  He is constantly challenging Adam and I with tough questions, and thinking about things that seem much too deep for his years.  For example, the other night we were reading the book "Love You Forever." In the book the little boy grows up, and eventually moves out to his own home.  Jack teared up and looked at me and said "But Mom I don't want to move out! I want to stay with you and Daddy!" No fear Jack, I promise you don't have to move out until you really want to :) Which unfortunately will be A LOT sooner than I am ready for.  He also tells me that he loves me, even when I act crazy and yell at him. I think he is going to become a pretty amazing young man. Some little girl out there will become very lucky someday... this I am sure.

riding his bike at Great-Grandma's
 I think everyone who knows him is aware that his language and cognitive skills are just about thru the roof (at least we think so!). But what I may not have mentioned is that from birth, Jack has never been the strongest.  Always at the bottom of the weight charts, and content to sit back and relax. He didn't attempt to kill himself with daring stunts on a daily basis like his baby sister does. He was just a calm, sweet and easy baby.  His dedication to puzzles and books didn't exactly boost his motor skills! The most significant weakness has always been in his left leg.  To this day he struggles to step up a stair with his left foot, and uses his right leg for kicking, jumping, and climbing.  So this Spring I made it my goal to focus on helping him improve some of his gross motor skills. I started letting him "exercise" with me at the gym for the first 15 minutes (we run laps together and play with some of the balls and jump ropes etc.) I also found that some of the local gymnastic gyms hold "open gyms" on different days thru out the week.  Jack loves going to the 'tumbling gym',  but I really have to push him to try some of the harder stuff. He be-lines it for the toddler push cars, tricycles, and tumbling mats... I make him try the balance beams, trampolines, climbing walls, etc.  He informs me that "this looks dangerous","I don't want to go too fast mom", or "boy, I hope I don't fall!"  But he is such a perfectionist and a people pleaser that he is always willing to try.  I told him to practice going up the stairs with his "lefty".  If he forgets he will go back down to the bottom and start over using his "LEFT" foot all on his own accord :)   I think the extra effort has been worth it, because he is becoming much more independent on his bicycle and scooter.  He would still rather ride in the stroller, or read a book...and that's all right by us.
Jack labeled the birthday cards by himself




No comments:

Post a Comment