background

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Potty Training: not for the faint of heart

Jack turned 2 1/2 in March, thus as responsible parents we have decided it is officially time for Jack Jack to become proficient at using the potty.  He has been using the potty in a low key way for months. Before bath, before bed, a few hours in big boy underwear each morning and each evening.  We had even ventured on short trips like to the gym and church in  big boy undies, but hadn't made the official switch.

The crime scene. I think it is pretty clear what happened here.  Is Elmo crying?
Early on Jack showed enthusiasm with the whole "potty training" idea. One morning he asked me to put undies on his his Elmo.  So I did, and I playfully told Elmo "don't pee pee in your undies, big boys use the potty! Right Jack?"  I proceeded to go to my room and get ready for the day while Jack was innocently playing in his room. A few moments later he comes running in holding Elmo's underwear and stating "Elmo used the potty!" 
me: ... "That's great, but where is Elmo?" 
Jack:  "In the potty"
me: "Really?"

After laughing hysterically, we had a little talk about how it isn't nice to put our stuffed animals IN the potty and that Elmo would now be taking a bath in the washing machine.  (Which was actually about as exciting for Jack as it was to put him in the toilet. Poor Elmo.)

So now we (meaning Adam and I) are putting more effort into the whole potty training thing, but pretty sure Jack Jack couldn't give a crap either way.  He is totally cool with using the potty when you take him, but I swear this child will NEVER ask to go.  Thus Adam and I have become proficient at 'accident preventing'  we know we have about a 2 hour time limit, we know to take him before we leave the house, and before letting him sit down to watch a tv show... but most of all we know to never ever never ever NEVER believe him if he says he doesn't need to go.  I think he has looked me in the eye and said "I don't need to potty" and then immediately soaked himself a dozen times.
Totally appropriate view of my son in his big boy dino undies :)
On a happier note, he has managed to go the last 2 days accident free :)  But save your cheers.  No one seems to mention that even though their child is no longer in diapers that they are still totally dependent on you to USE the potty. I mean, who takes his pants off? ME! Who helps him get his pants back on? ME! who lifts him up to the sink to wash his hands? ME ! And who has to keep an eye on the clock and try to remember the last time he pee'd? ME!
This potty training is a LOT of work, for ME! (or I suppose you could substitute Adam's name in there as well... but I'm the one writing this blog post so I'm taking the glory!)  No wonder people keep their kids in diapers till their four.  And no offense to my son, but how come we can potty train puppies in like a week?  I know for a fact my son is smarter than a dog.
But I better praise Jack one more time before ending this rant of a blog post... would you believe he LOVES pooping in the potty? This kid has not pooped in his underwear EVER. He gets excited to poop in the potty. The other day the water splashed him, and boy did he get a kick outa that.  Now every time he needs to go he says "It's gonna splash me!" Wow, I'm pretty sure no one enjoys that... but that's why being a 2 year old boy is awesome.

(Oh, and by the way... Yesterday Jack smiled and proudly said "I feel like a Big Boy now."  So I think he is starting to "give a crap" and is actually pretty proud of himself. And we are pretty darn proud of him too.)




1 comment:

  1. Ha! Laughed so hard I cried! Great pics, great post!

    ReplyDelete