background

Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Balancing Act

Adam and I have an ongoing dilemma, perhaps one might call it a butting of heads.  Adam likes to have FUN. In order to have good fun he feels it necessary to collect toys. NOT necesarilly cheap toys.  I am FRUGAL. I find joy in saving money, and try ever so hard to be content with what I have (as I write this I see how annoying I am. Who wants to hang out with that girl?)
Adam's first motorcycle.  He sold this one for a truck I believe.

Our current form of "cheap" fun.
The Boat..  not recommended for use on water
The current motorcyle


Adam currently has a motorcycle, a jet ski, partial ownership of a boat with my Dad (unfortunately the boat is a bit of a "money pit" and not exactly float-able at this time).   But Adam's wish list is ongoing, never ending, and ever evolving. To me it is a mind boggling list. To his benefit, he does buy used items that are older and by no means the 'top of the line'.  He is also frequently selling, trading, and "improving" said items.






Currently he spends his time perusing Craig's list looking for fishing boats, pop-up campers, storage sheds and trucks.   Do I particularly enjoy the endless pursuit of things I'd rather not buy... not really.  But it is CRITICAL that I show interest in his pursuits, or I hurt his feelings... "yes, honey that boat is very cool". "Yes, that would be a fun camper." etc. etc.  The real trick is I CAN'T show too much excitement or interest. If I do, it's like putting gasoline on a flame (or insert some other catch phrase that I can't think of right now) needless to say he will have the item purchased within the next 24 hours.



We have had many close calls (also considered arguments), these are the times when he thinks I have given the OK to purchase an item, only to find I was speaking in "yes, some day terms."  This results in several days of depression for Adam while he recuperates.  Tragic, I know. Meanwhile I feel like a big party pooper with a stick up my rear.  Not a good feeling (not that I know what a stick up my rear should feel like. This is a common saying though... right?)





But on Monday, Adam's Aunt passed away. Not his great-aunt, his Aunt. His Mom's baby sister. Totally unexpected and sudden. Of course this gets one to thinking. Life is truly short, and what else is there to do but enjoy everyday? Live life to the fullest, make memories, and laugh.



Two happy boys
Jack's first ride on the waverunner



So now I'm stuck.  My brain wants to hoard our money, do something really responsible like invest and deprive ourselves of every desire.  But what will I remember more at the end of my life... the memories made with Adam's crazy list of dreams... or my secure nest egg?  (Oh dear, what will happen when he reads this blog post???)

The real challenge to me seems to be finding a way to balance it all out.  How to be responsible, have a nest egg, save for retirement, AND have FUN.  But really, I think we are doing pretty good. At least I am having fun, and I'm pretty sure Adam would agree.  This life is GOOD.

Today is a day the Lord has made. Rejoice and be Glad in it. -  Will do, will do :)


I know Mom, at least he isn't asking for an airplane like Dad did.

1 comment: