background

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Flowers in April?? Just go with it

Adam and I really do enjoy working in the yard, and spring is by far the most rewarding time of the year.  Typically I expect our yard to be in full bloom around Mother's Day, this year we got an early surprise! Thought I would share a few of my favorites.
  These are pink azaleas. I personally created each pink blossom, and placed them in this amazing array (okay fine God did that). But they are in MY yard and the neighbors always compliment ME on them so I get a little big-headed.  If anyone else has azaleas, I do fertilize these several times each year with an acid-loving miracle grow.  All other credit can be given to mother nature.
 These purple flowers are Columbine (Colorado's state flower).  Two years ago I planted one, and now there are three amazing groupings of them! They seeded on their own, and the best part is the "DAMN bunnies" haven't touched them. (I do like bunnies, but they ate my coreopsis and my ever-blooming roses to a nub so now they are DAMN bunnies)
 The last flower picture is our rhododendron. I swear this is the most fickle plant we have. Of course when the roofers decided to drop their pile of crap off the roof directly into the middle of my bush it didn't help. And yes, I was very dramatic about this experience and called my husband in tears "they've RUINED my rhododendron."  The poor Hispanic workers who clearly did not speak English surely thought I was the craziest lady ever.  But really, why didn't they throw their pile off 10 feet to the left where it would have landed on the driveway? To be mean obviously.

 This is a Japanese Maple Tree that we planted two years ago.   It is BEAUTIFUL in person and adds a new color to the yard.  Right now it is a deep purpley red. Adam and I agree it is probably the best addition we have made to the landscaping.
 Oh, and yes that is Jack trying to creep in on my gardening blog post.  This is his scary face, but really you are supposed to be looking at my tree.
And this is our Spring bun in the oven :) 36 weeks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment