background

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Overachieving parents force bicycle training on child


Daddy's way of encouraging Jack to try the bike :)
Did I ever tell you that I learned to ride my bicycle without training wheels when I was 3? Well if I haven't I have now, and it is a great source of pride for me :) Unfortunately I don't actually remember doing this, I thought I just always knew how to ride a bike. Kind of like reading, I don't remember learning how to read. BUT I do remember feeling annoyed by the other kids in kindergarten who didn't know how to read. Ugghhh how snobbish was I at the age of 5??? My parents, however, remember me learning to ride my bike quite well.  Apparently I nagged my Dad to take the training wheels off so I could be like my brothers.  He thought I wouldn't be able to do it so he DID take them off.  Then I apparently thru a horrid perfectionistic tantrum and stayed outside kicking the ground and trying OVER and OVER and OVER again all by myself.  Before they knew it I was out there riding the bike... their plan failed.   Anyhoo this isn't supposed to be about me.
Fixing the Training Wheel
no worries, he does have a helmet...



 The point is we decided the other day it is time to get Jack out on his bicycle!  I told him "Won't this be fun? You could ride your bike instead of riding in the stroller!?" Wow, major backfire.  He immediately broke into tears saying "I love the stroller. I want to ride in the stroller!"  It took a few minutes to convince him that he could still ride in the stroller anytime, but the bike was just for fun.  I don't really think we convinced him... so much as just forced him to get on the bike and like it.  Adam had to test it out and show him how it is done.  I'm pretty sure I clearly stated "I don't think that's a good idea... your gonna pop his tires." Well, he didn't POP the tires but he did strip the tire of his training wheel... pretty funny when Jack said "Hey! You popped my wheel off!"    So we did a few trips up and back in front of the driveway with Adam yelling "No, pedal AROUND, FORWARD NOT BACKWARD."




 So the lesson ended in a few quick minutes.  Luckily Jack will not be 3 until September... so we've got time for him to beat my record.









1 comment:

  1. Yes, you were 3 when you learned to ride a bike...I remember the day...your determination (giant hissy fits) and your sweat!! I think it might have been the summer you were 3, so you were probably a year older than Jack right now. I was not really ready for you to do that!

    ReplyDelete