background

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Nona Marie, a beautiful woman



Nona Marie and Omar T. Crabb
Nona with my oldest brother, Michael
Nona Marie Hyatt Crabb was my grandmother.  She was beautiful. She was beautiful inside and out. I remember as a child sitting on her lap and admiring her.  She had snow white hair, that always seemed the perfect amount of softness, fluff and curl. Her eyes were brilliant blue and extra large.  My mom always told me I had my Grandma's eyes, and I have always felt that my eyes were my best feature. Her skin seemed to glow with a soft year round tan, and her jaw line was square... I always wanted my jaw line to be square. She had perfect fingernails, always filed and unbelievably white.  She used them to give the best back rubs, and you didn't even have to ask her for them.  Grandma was patient, very very patient.  I don't ever remember her griping, complaining, or even hinting at dissatisfaction.  She exuded a sense of calm and contentment that most people strive their whole lives to achieve. Her home was my favorite place in the world. My grandpa and her built it, and called it "Our Elusive Dream."  It was a beautiful simple home in Ingram Texas.  It was in hill country. Full of deer, rocky earth, and lots and lots of trees.  Their land was full of places to explore and play, not to mention the animals that they kept. Emu's, goats, lots of birds, and even baby deer from time to time.  I never wanted to leave, and I always told them that I would live there some day too. I did mean it. It makes me sad to know their home was sold, and others live in it now.  I can't stand my house to be dirty, because I often think "grandma would have this place looking perfect."  I think of her everytime I wash a fitted sheet, what a disgrace that I wad them into a ball instead of folding them crisply as she did.  The older I get, the more I realize that I am not much like my grandma. Or at least not as much like her as I wish I were.  I complain a lot, and I interrupt people when they talk.  I get short and snap at Adam or Jack when I am frustrated.  I don't think Grandma did that.

Grandma and Grandpa as I remember them.
When she would visit us when I was little, I would relentlessly follow her around and ask her to play games with me. Checkers, monopoly, LIFE, etc.  She would sit and play with me for hours.  Who does that??? I would play maybe one game with a kiddo and then get the heck outa dodge!  I loved my Grandma, and I still do.  I admire her, and wish so much to grow into the woman she was.  This is why I begged Adam to let us name our daughter "Nona."  The name may not be popular, some may think it strange. But to me it is perfect.  Perhaps our NonaJane will have a little of Nona Marie in her... if so, she will be a beautiful woman.


My Grandfather comforting my Grandmother near the end of her life.  She had Alzheimer's.

No comments:

Post a Comment