background

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas Stockings in the nick of time

Two of our Christmas stockings are complete! (with 3 whole days to spare). Without these beauties Santa would have had nowhere to put all my delicious chocolate (and everyone else would have missed out on their coal).
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care
(actually scotch tape because I can't find the holders)
and holy moly! those are our thanksgiving pumpkins still in the greenery... oops.  I'll get those out now
We have not embroidered names on them yet. I would like to get the other two done and have them all embroidered at the same time to ensure that they all turn out consistent.  Plus, I'm not sure exactly which one will end up with who. Except for the parachuting Santa. That one is JACK's.  He picked it out on day one (waayyyy back in october), and has been consistent in choosing it ever since.
Jack seeing his stocking complete for the first time :)
My neighbor Connie who is a seamstress did the final stitching and piecing together of the stockings. I wanted to make sure they would last FOREVER.  But every little bead, sequin, stitch, and stuffing was done by hand, by ME.  I know I know.  It was rough. Hours and hours of sitting on my butt, cross-eyed, cussing at the eye of the needle for being SOOO small.  But I stayed motivated by the fact that growing up, the family Christmas stockings were, are, and forever will be treasured pieces.  I'm not sure yet that mine live up to the same standards, but maybe over time they too will earn the badge of holding the Christmas spirit for my family.  Becoming the items that you lovingly pull out of the tissue paper, admire the detail, and carefully place in a row above the fireplace.  Year, after year, after year.  The Christmas decoration that gets you in the holiday spirit, brings back memories, and makes the season bright.
Thank you Bobo for my Christmas stocking, and the motivation to try and pass down the tradition.
Now I feel like Clark Griswald... perhaps putting a bit too much weight on the perfection of a moment. Let's just hope a squirrel doesn't break in and tear them apart.



Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.




No comments:

Post a Comment