background

Monday, September 24, 2012

A perfectionist raising a perfectionist...

Jack flying a kite with Daddy
Adam has a great personality.  He likes to do a good job, he puts effort into his work and somehow he manages to do so without becoming an overachieving maniac.  I on the other hand have been known to stomp my feet, curse, throw things, and even smack myself (can you believe I am admitting this?? Perhaps this is the first step to curing my crazy. That or Two Rivers Hospital.) It seems that Jack may be taking a BIT more after me with his personality, or at least his frustration tolerance...
 Luckily I understand HOW he feels, but unfortunately I don't know how to really help him.  We started noticing it before he could even walk.  He used to pick toys of matching color. You could actually watch him scan the pile of blocks searching for the other matching blue one. He loves to organize and line up his hot wheels, pennies, toys etc. When he was learning to ride his 4 wheeler he would bounce up and down in frustration if he couldn't maneuver it smoothly enough. If his sandwich, granola bar, biscuit etc. would crumble or break in half he was devastated. Now when he colors he screams if he goes outside the lines.  He expects to be able to DRAW perfect pictures and cries "it's NOT good" if his people don't turn out just right. The other day he was hitting baseballs off the T and yelled "ahhh, it wasn't good" when his ball didn't go far enough to his liking. Today his play doh creation lost its arm, Jack lost his cool, and I came to the realization that Jack's perfectionism is wide spread and SEVERE. 
The kite is wayyyyy up there. Right over his shoulder
Adam and I do our best to respond consistently. "It's all right Jack.  It's still good, and you can either keep playing/eating/etc. or you need to go take a break/time-out on the stairs."  He usually consoles fairly well, and will continue to practice his skills with determination.  This is why he has mastered every puzzle he owns. He has an amazing amount of determination to complete any task set before him.  As PROUD and amazed as Adam and I are of Jack... I worry about his ability to use his perfectionism to his benefit rather than his demise.  If we are able to teach Jack how to manage his desire to do everything perfectly, and instead turn it into a healthy desire to do his best.... but aggghh! Who am I kidding! All we can do is support him , love him, and encourage him to keep on keeping on. right??  Meanwhile my Mom and Dad are surely enjoying this... thinking back in fond memories of the times I made us late because the stripes on my socks weren't perfectly aligned... oh dear. I do think it got better with age...


Trying on the fire fighter gear at a car show in Joplin MO

Riding a pedal cart at the "WildWest Show"

No comments:

Post a Comment