background

Sunday, July 5, 2015

The unplanned, unpredictable, and EXCITING life this week

NonaJane (3) Nolan (almost 3) Luella (4 1/2) Henry (6) Jack (5) Everett (5) Hudson (7) and Ethan (9)



 
Mark's family was in town on Tuesday, so we had to get the kids all together for an updated picture (minus Matthew)
Sometimes things don't go as planned. And with 3 kids, it seems that more things tend to go in the "unplanned" category more than ever before.  While the majority of America is out watching firework shows, or dangerously blowing things up in their yard, I am home writing a blog post.
Happy 4th of July!
NonaJane started running an unexpected fever during a fun family game of Monopoly, so I decided it best to bring her home rather than share the germs with her cousins. We came home, cuddled on the couch and let some Tylenol take the edge off :)  But in all honesty, I don't mind a bit missing out on the fireworks.  I'm enjoying the sound of them off in the distance, with the mesmerizing humm of Matthew's swing here beside me.  There is something so comforting about being home.  On top of that, it has been a rather exhausting week...
Papa and Jack on the Navy Pier in Chicago
Last Wednesday evening I received an email from Jack's agency that they wanted to submit him for a casting in Chicago for the TV show "Fuller House" (the spin off to Full House!).  The character is DJ Tanner's middle son.  A 6 year old boy who is very intelligent and a bit neurotic.  What a cool opportunity!  Adam was a bit nervous about what a role like this could mean for Jack, and for us... but we decided the bottom line is that Jack has a real knack for this, and most importantly, he really enjoys it.  His Price Chopper commercials are airing more and more...  and we get such amazing feedback about what a natural he is on camera.  The directors are always amazed at how quick he is to learn lines, and obviously... how stinking cute he is.  So we said "Yes, submit him!"  Come Friday evening around 5:00, we were notified that he was indeed selected to audition!  Sunday afternoon Jack, my Dad, and I hit the road to Chicago. (Adam stayed home with Nona and Matthew)  Jack had several pages of lines to memorize, and as usual he learned them without too much trouble.  We made the most of our fast trip, touring the Navy Pier, enjoying a night in a hotel, and trying out some Chicago style pizza.  Jack walked into his casting call on Monday at 4:00 his confident, happy, and bubbly self.  They don't let the parents come back with them, so unfortunately I don't get to witness him in action.  But Jack came out smiling ear to ear, and told me he had a great time.  Can you imagine walking into a room with adults you don't know, standing alone in the middle of an empty room in front of a camera and lights, to be interviewed and perform your lines??? YIKES! But Jack somehow isn't phased by it!
Being stalked by the seagulls while trying to eat our pizza
Too many hours on the iPad makes for an uneasy stomach :(
We haven't heard any news yet.. and may never hear anything.  But either way, we enjoyed the trip, the special time with each other (how often do I get to sit and talk with my Dad like that?? 16 hours in a car is just what we needed!), AND Jack has now had exposure in front of a pretty big casting director... so who knows where any of this could take him?!  I told Adam that one of the highlights of the trip for me was how Jack would reach up and hold my hand everywhere we went.  It hit me that with Matthew in my arms, and NonaJane needing my hand... that Jack doesn't really get my hand very often.  It also made me realize that as he rapidly approaches the age of 6, that he may not reach for my hand much longer.  The thought brings tears to my eyes, and I cherished those 36 hours where all our attention was just on him again.
The point when we decided an X-ray was a must











       





 

Thursday of this week, we were at our friends house and I decided to jump on the trampoline with the kids.  I was being silly and jumping all over like a maniac... next thing I know I hear a chilling scream from Jack and instantly knew it was serious.  I had inadvertently double bounced him and he landed badly on his left ankle.  It didn't take long for it to swell up like a baseball. After a dose of ibuprofen, and 3 hours of ice... we decided it needed to be x-rayed.  Jack made the ER nurses swoon, and charmed the Doctor along the way.  I was so nervous I could have puked, but luckily it did turn out to be a severe sprain with perhaps a small fracture that was not significant enough to worry about.  They provided a temporary cast and said to leave it on for a week.  Jack (as most men tend to do) has enjoyed letting us carry him around and tend to his every need.  I'm crossing my fingers that he is up and running around in a few days like the Dr. predicted...











No comments:

Post a Comment