background

Monday, December 8, 2014

Our Jack Jack

 A few weeks ago I was having a pretty upsetting/stressful day at work.  Then when I went to pick NonaJane up from the sitter.  I was told (and shown) how she had bitten the other little girl (sorry to throw you under the bus NJ, just telling the day how it was). Apparently Nona had become irate when the other little girl turned the TV off (as she had been told to do). But NonaJane doesn't always like to follow the rules, and her poor little explosion of frustration could only be managed by a flesh clinching bite. (At least I assume this must have been how she felt).  SO by the time I picked Jack up from school… I was feeling a little down.  We jumped in the car, and I unzipped his backpack to find this note
         "Jack is such a joy to have at Sonshine. He is a great friend to others" with a big smiley face adorning the note.
Translation "Baby Matthew, your family loves you"
This little note was a bright shining star on a day that had otherwise gone to hell in a hand-basket.  Jack has always had a way of doing that. He brightens the room, and you can always count on his tender heart and big brain to cheer you up anytime of the day.  I swear he tells me at least 10 times a day how much he loves me.  Lately he always follows it with "but I Love Jesus MORE".  Not sure if he was taught this at Sunday school, or at pre-school… but he now feels it necessary to clarify his level of love for me.  I smile and tell him "of course" but the terrible side of me is a tad bit jealous of Jesus :)  I hear Jack telling NonaJane daily that he loves her too. He hugs on her and includes her in his play. He tells me how excited he is for baby Matthew to be born (which he so cleverly spells as Mathu… can't really argue that now can you?)  Now don't get me wrong, Jack will occasionally hit NonaJane, he jumps on the couch, and attempts to sneak candy canes off the tree… but really, that's about the extent of it.  He has even jumped on board the parenting train and tried to help Adam and I out with rationalizing with Nona "Nona, you chose to ride in the cart with me, you have to sit down" or "Nona, you can't have your dessert because you didn't eat your oranges." It surprises me that he sticks his neck out there to reason with NonaJane, because it usually results in a rather large back lash from his sister "JACKKKKKK!!! I don't sit, EVER!" or "JACKKKKK NO!!!!!"  but he stays calm and will attempt to reason from a different angle "but if you don't sit you could fall," or "I didn't get my dessert either because I don't like oranges".
After Thanksgiving, Jack was very eager to write his Christmas list.  By eager, I should probably say he was having a mild anxiety attack.  He was panicked that he would change his mind, ask for something that he wouldn't really like, or that Santa would not put him on the nice list (which was simply crazy talk).   I think we had to have at least 3 heart to hearts that all would work out, that Santa would surely have him on the nice list, and that he had plenty of time to write and make changes to his Christmas list.  Well this zealous 5 year old little boy jumped on the computer, went to Toys R Us, and started internet shopping.  When he found a picture of a toy he liked, he would copy down the name of it onto his Christmas List.  In a word for word EXACT manner. Such as "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Movie Basic Action Figure Donatello".  Lord Help Santa Clause to bring him the exact item he asked for- because we all know he won't forget (and of course there are a million different teenage mutant ninja turtle action figures.) I asked Jack to confirm with me which picture was the one he wanted, he explained to me with all his wisdom that I really didn't need to worry about it. He would show me which one it is when Santa brings it for him!
 Jack's Hallmark pictures that he took in the Spring have also started popping up on the Hallmark website. Which has been really fun and exciting! Now I have to periodically check into the Hallmark website, because they don't notify you or anything.  Hopefully I haven't missed any!





1 comment: