background

Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Mountain of Chaos

Moving day was full steam ahead.  I had planned, packed and prepared for a month ahead of time. Adam and I had completely cleared out the basement and upstairs, staging everything we owned into the dining and room and living room of our house.  My Mom and Dad picked Jack and NonaJane up the day before, and took them camping out at Hillsdale Lake.  The kiddos spent the next 2 nights and 2 days in their camper.  Creating play-doh creations, blowing bubbles, complaining that they were 'hungry!' demanding drinks, requesting games, watching movies, and stubbornly telling Mema and Papa "NO!" (can you decipher which activity came from which child? haha)









Mema and the kids assuring us they were ready for the excitement


Looking back as we drove off...































Three hours was all it took. From the time the movers arrived to the time they left.  Leaving us in the wake of their dust on our new, mile long, gravel drive. A whirlwind.  There was no time for lingering in empty rooms of the old house, no time to reminisce, no time to shed bittersweet tears.  I had managed to keep myself so busy over the past month preparing, that I completely avoided the process of saying goodbye.  I closed a chapter in my book (a thing we all know very well I hate doing) without so much as a tear to the cheek. The next thing I knew, I was standing in my new driveway with a mountain of chaos lurking over my shoulder. Adam grinning ear to ear "we are HERE! Look at this beautiful view!!! It is all OURS!"  But in my perfectionistic and obsessive mind all I could think about was how much there was to DO.   I have gone to bed every night since much too late, with a sore back, sore feet, and raw fingers.



On Friday my parents and the kids came out to spend the day at the new house with us.  My mom sneakily stole away to our flower filled, wallpaper covered, 1980's master bedroom.  Unknown to me in my busied state, she started removing wallpaper!  By the time I took note, the wall of pink roses and ivy vines was nearly gone.  I swear I could have cried. She also took down the dark green mini-blinds and heavy draperies that were hiding the windows all thru out the house. Friday afternoon Adam's parents, sister and nieces arrived.  To my awe and overwhelming excitement, they too dove right into the wallpaper removal. Sue volunteering for what appeared to be the most uncomfortable and unpleasant of work- tearing the wallpaper from below and above the kitchen cabinets.  I found myself unable to find the words to properly thank them, to express to them all the deep gratitude I was feeling. It was a sense of Love and appreciation that words could not deliver.  I mean, no one, absolutely NO ONE likes to remove wallpaper.  But on top of it, to do it in someone else's house? Even worse!  My family tackled a job, that had it been left for me to do alone… may have killed me.  Their effort and selfless acts made my heart grow 3 sizes that day ( you know like the grinch)  and gave me renewed faith and hope that this house would be transformed into our dream home before we knew it.
My parents headed home on Saturday, and Adam's parents, sister, and nieces headed home on Sunday. I was still floating on a happy cloud, feeling so accomplished of all that we had done.  But little did I know… the Mountain of Chaos was still lurking behind me…



Goodbye Ivy, Thank You Sue!!

Moving to the country, Schwatken style

 Apparently Adam was smart enough to take some pictures as the rooms cleared out. Here are some goodbye photos of our wonderful first home.  The place we spent our first night as husband and wife, and the place both our children came home to.  The house that was so empty when we first bought it, we laughed thinking we would never fill all that space.  We had doors shut, and empty rooms.  But when we left it was brimming full. Bursting open with love, furniture, toys, and memories.

The kitchen floor that I vacuumed and mopped a million times feeding babies and toddlers

The living room that was lovingly re-painted twice, re-carpeted, and transformed

NonaJane's room that I spent hours stenciling

Our master bedroom

Jack and NonaJane sleeping in the camper


The kids smiles and the evening sun shining down on our house… with all the chaos lurking inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment