background

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A month in, and no time wasted

The family on our second weekend in the house
As of Thursday, we will officially have been in our new home for 1 month.  And a whirlwind it has been.  I'm pretty sure neither Adam or I have come up for air in the past 4 weeks.  Together we are a pretty determined team.  Thank goodness for such a handy husband, and an even greater "thank goodness" for a husband who is just as willing and motivated to work around the house as I am.  There is no begging, pleading, or manipulating around here to get things done. (of course… I guess I kind of did hold his new golf membership hostage until "The house is liveable!!" Which to me entailed a thorough scrubbing, wall paper removal, whole house interior painting, hanging of every picture, shelf, and decor item, and changing every fixture, knob, and pull in the home.  That's not too much to ask is it??)   Between the scrubbing, and painting, and scrubbing, and painting, and on and on and on and on… we also managed to get some new flowers planted, moved an entire retaining wall comprised of over a hundred 90 pound stones, mowed the yard each week ( a mere 4 hour job), and fix a broken windmill.  I'm exhausted just thinking about it.  I'm pretty sure I didn't go to bed before 11:00 and was up by 6:30 for a month straight, with very little sitting in between.  NonaJane would comment "Paint!  or "Paint?"  sounding slightly more exasperated with each day that Mommy told her  "don't touch!" or "get off the ladder" or "No, NonaJane can NOT paint".
Adam took the kids to Deanna Rose with their dousing Luke, Amy, Landon and Lauren
But somehow the kids got fed, the laundry got washed, bathes happened (although perhaps not as regularly as one should) and we all survived.  Here we are a month later, I sit in my living room typing my blog… and I feel relaxed.  This house feels like home.  Every room has our touch.  Of course we still have a list of projects, plans, hopes and dreams.  But who doesn't?  The rest of the work will be like the icing on top of the cake!  I know that many of the people who know me think I am crazy- just relax, take your time, the work will be there tomorrow, what's the big rush, etc. etc. etc.  You may think that my persistence, my obsession, my determination, stubbornness and unwillingness to budge is a character flaw. But I DON'T.  I'm proud of what Adam and I can accomplish.  I love feeling comfortable in my home, and am glad we didn't waste anytime getting here.  We are ready to enjoy the rest of our summer. To explore our new territory, to experience life, and take our kids on new adventures :)

Since we live in the country now I figured I better start letting my kids play in the rain and stuff. We are still a long way off from digging for worms and catching grasshoppers with our hands… maybe next time we will lose the umbrella?

Adam took the kids out on the pond for a couple of boat rides.  NonaJane is giving Adam the 'stink-eye' for telling her  to SIT DOWN!

Jack helping me take the trash out each week.  Again, living in the country so we better start teaching him how to drive young.  And let me tell you, taking out the trash with this driveway is quite the ORDEAL!



All the stones that we inherited for future use 
The retaining wall that Adam and my Dad removed 




No comments:

Post a Comment