background

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Strange things are happening here

 Strange things are happening around here.  I keep finding Jack's cushioned booster seat discarded to the corner of the kitchen floor, or sometimes hidden in weird places like beside the couch or under a bed.  The step stool that has lived in front of the bathroom for the past two years has taken up residency in my kitchen. Now serving as a tool for Jack to access the cabinets and get his own drink.  Then, last night I heard the exhaust fan running in the master bath. I headed upstairs and sure enough the door was shut. I peeked inside to find my little boy who responded "can you shut the door? I need some privacy."
Jack and Grandpa on his 62nd birthday
Jack's been helping out with potty training his baby sister
"But what about your potty seat, Jack? Don't you need your potty seat?" I replied "NOPE" was his proud response.
Jack on his bike (and I'm thinking his noggin has outgrown the helmet…)
I shut the door, and stood aghast.  What has happened here?  How is it that my son does not need a step stool to wash his hands, a potty seat to keep him from falling in the toilet, or a booster to reach the kitchen table?  When we go outside to the swing set, he doesn't need me to push him… at all.  Did you know he rode his bike a short distance without training wheels for the first time yesterday too? As I tucked him into bed, and he read to ME a bedtime story… I started to feel a little panicked.  "Jack, I don't think you are going to need me anymore!"  But then in his sweet endearing way Jack looked at me and replied "Of course I do Mom! I need you to bake for me, and to tuck me in. I still need you a lot."  His reassuring hug and sincere eyes calmed my nerves. But deep down inside I realized I'm not sure who needs each other more, him or me:)    So much of who I am, and what I do, is being his MOM.  Clearly I realize he is only 4 and to say he would no longer need me is a bit dramatic.  Sometimes it is just a bit hard to keep up with (or accept) the changing roles.


NonaJane is all about riding her "BIKE!" but she can't quite pedal it yet 
The kids' paychecks from their work with Hallmark!







No comments:

Post a Comment