background

Thursday, January 9, 2014

New Year, New Craziness


The 2008 Vue that I sold...
I'm starting off the New Year with some new wheels.  Well... not exactly NEW wheels.  I kinda did something crazy.  A good friend was selling a family car, and was only asking $1,000.  I didn't need a car, but thought surely she wouldn't have any trouble selling a car for only a $1,000.  I mean really!? That is crazy. Shouldn't we all just drive a $1,000 dollar car? Cheaper insurance, cheaper tags, and who cares if you get a door ding... right?!  Then that night, while laying in bed.. I had a strange and overwhelming thought -"I should buy that car for ME".  Why not?  My car is paid off, I could sell it and save the money!  I kept thinking the crazy
The beauty that I bought !!!


thought would go away... but instead it grew.  Out of curiosity I found myself searching on Craigslist for 1,000 dollar cars. AND, they really don't exist.  They either were wrecked (better term would be mangled), had a 'bad' engine, or were painted purple with flames and topped off with some spinners. This is why people don't drive $1,000 dollar cars.  So, I waited up for Adam and told him my plan.  He wasn't exactly thrilled. Fast forward 11 days, I sold my car and am now a proud owner of my very own 1999 Oldsmobile eighty eight.  In GOLD. with no window tent, tweeters for my only functioning speakers, and a full bench seat thru the front (who would like to be my first front row middle seat rider???)   We did take the car in and have all the fluids replaced, a small leak repaired, and a basic once over.  The mechanic thought my little (more accurately described as BIG) car looked like it was in solid condition!  My brother and Dad felt it necessary to share with me a song by The Bottle Rockets -"1000 Dollar Car".  So apparently this feat of mine has been tried before... and it didn't go so well.  But hey, sometimes you just have to take a little gamble in life.  I've dived in and am taking a risk... I'm crossing my fingers that we get some time out of this car, and that we can use that time wisely to save, invest, and prepare for perhaps a more appealing car down the road :)

Jack really does like this car.. (even though he appears to be hiding from me in the picture)

*funny side note- we spent the weekend up at my parents house. We were poorly prepared for the drastic temperature change between Saturday and Sunday (because as you know I rarely if ever watch the news and am always shocked by the weather).  Anyhoo, on Sunday we decided to head to Nebraska Furniture Mart. We pulled in the lot in the Oldsmobile, in single digit weather, and hopped out with NO coats on us or our children.  All I could figure is that everyone who witnessed this ridiculousness was surely thinking "those poor poor people (literally and figuratively) they can't afford coats?!" Perhaps driving this car will be good for me in more ways than one.

We are also starting out this new year with a fresh face lift inside our house! I gave our kitchen, living room, and entry mud room/hallway, a new coat of paint.  New Year, New COLOR! (you would not believe how dirty walls can get in 5 years.. feeling much cleaner now) I'll post pictures on the finished room after we pick up our furniture on Saturday! Despite the fact that this is an incredibly unflattering picture of myself... I had to post because it is too funny.
Safety First!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment