background

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

This is SO MUCH WORK

We used weathered boards from old palates to accent the TV wall
Adam continues to work away in the basement. His diligence, persistence, and hard work continues to amaze me.  I put in a few good days work painting everything, and found myself saying "ugg, this is exhausting! and Ugg... this is SO MUCH work!"  pretty laughable considering all I had to do was paint and stain.  I'm surprised Adam didn't dump the can of paint over my head considering he has been endlessly laboring down there for the past 5 months.  A few weekends ago we were down in Valley Center, and we brought home an old free-standing bar that was made of barrels (with matching chairs and bar stools in true 70's fashion).  Adam got them from an old family friend for a whopping cost of FREE.  He then worked, and yelled, and maybe even cussed... but eventually dismantled and re-assembled it into a new more modern wet bar.  I thought this might be the one thing that he was going to give up on (because he usually does not get frustrated enough to cuss. So I knew it was serious.) But he pulled thru and it looks REALLY cool.  Then we thought we were going to put stone along the TV wall... and found it would cost several hundred to several thousand dollars to do so. RIDICULOUS. So instead he used FREE palates from work. (not sure if that is considered free or stealing. But that is neither hear nor there) HAHA I worked that saying into another post! awesome.  BACK to the point. I do find myself having more empathy for Adam now, often telling him to take a break. But I think at this point it is like being in the final quarter of a marathon (not that I have ever run one) and he just doesn't want to stop for anything.  I can finally see/envision the end result, and am just...amazed.  Our basement has more character, more finishing touches, and loving details than the rest of our house combined. All these extra details also meant extra costs... but I have no doubt that the cost of materials will in no way over shadow the use of our new space!
You can see the built in bed, and the doorway under the stairs for the playhouse



We chose to do a mixture of dark stain, and white wood trim around the room

The bar area coming together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment