background

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Going to school... kind of

Adam and I feel strongly that Jack and NonaJane are very lucky to get to stay home with us all the time. Neither child has ever had to go to daycare, but have had wonderful babysitters who come to our home for approximately 9 hours a week when Adam and I's schedules overlap (thank you Jenn Huey and Kristen Lindley).  But sometimes I worry when I hear about other mom's talking about their kids going to school or the lessons they are working on at daycare.. etc.  I think "Gee... do I need to get Jack into a school?"  So I went and checked out the Goddard school by our home. Do you know they wanted $372 a month for Jack to come just 2 mornings a week?  The structured curriculum is delivered between 9-11 am, then they get play time, lunch, and parent pick ups.  Well.. Adam said I had gone CRAZY if I thought we were sending Jack to pre-school for $372 dollars a month for 4 hours a week of teaching.  We would be much better off putting the $372 dollars a month into his college fund (hmm... not a bad idea! We do put money in their consistently... but not quite that much). Anyhoo.. so I decided I can teach him for FREE! So we started a little "home-schooling" regimen. Boy is Jack excited. We went and bought some work books including kindergarten math, writing, and problem solving as well as some sight word flash cards.  We found a back pack Mema had given him awhile ago, and placed his books, an eraser and some pencils in the bag.  He LOVES to "go to school" and pretends that when he runs the loop around our house that the kitchen turns into a classroom.  He would love to sit and finish the entire workbook in one sitting... I do not have that good of an attention span so I make him quit after 10 pages or so.  He is continually shocking me with what he understands. Here's hoping that he loves learning this much thru out his schooling... and that it doesn't fizzle out before we even get to Kindergarten!

going to school!

Jack was able to match the words with the corresponding shape completely by himself. He sounded out the beginning of the word, and used deductive reasoning to figure out which shape it was. I was impressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment