background

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Being strict is not for the weary


This is what happens to rubber duckies in our house :)
The artist - Jack Wilder
Who knew being strict was so hard?  My parents didn't seem to have any trouble doing it when we were kids... but now that I'm a parent I'm realizing that being consistent is exhausting. If Jack wants to live off of bread and cheese, and NonaJane wants to stay up till midnight everyday... what the heck, why not!?? Well I know darn well why not, because Jack won't get proper nutrition to grow and develop, and NonaJane's crazy refusal to sleep isn't good for anyone.  But wouldn't it be nice sometimes to just let them? Sure, don't nap. Eat candy and crap all day. Other kids do it, you can too.  But I expect more of myself, more of my kids. I have high hopes for you two. I have hopes that you will grow to be strong, healthy and happy individuals.  That you will have good morals, strong beliefs, a fantastic education, a determined work-ethic, and dreams that exceed the standard.  So if you feel I'm being mean when I refuse to make you an alternate meal and you go hungry for dinner, or when I let you scream and fuss in your bed at night... don't worry it really is harder on ME. I feel like the big MEANY. I second guess myself constantly. But I'm using the same methods my parents used with us; and I love, respect and cherish them more than ever.  
Jack Wilder and NonaJane, you think I am doing you a special favor when I give in to you, but really, I cherish those moments too. It's a break from the constant challenge of being a responsible parent. But don't worry, Adam and I are up to the challenge. We give each other the support and courage to be strong with you. We will do whatever it takes... to give you the very best.

Practicing our letters at 3 years and 4 months
NonaJane, you take that pacifier now only to taunt me. You refused it the first 7 months of life as if it were toxic. But now I have caught you unaware, pacifier in mouth. I'm onto you girl!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment