background

Sunday, October 26, 2014

finally settling in

view of some fall color from our front porch

Our pond filled up!

We think the trees along the drive are going to turn red!

Nona and Luella at the pumpkin patch

It was a good day yesterday.  Maybe the first day since our move that I felt reassured that it was right.  It just felt like everything was finally coming together, or at least I was finally seeing thru the stress and chaos and recognizing all the good that were happening.
Moving was more stressful than I expected it to be. Not just the packing, cleaning, sorting, hauling, and unpacking.  That was really the easy part.  It was the adjusting.  The waking up in a new home.  Not knowing how many steps in the dark it took to get to the bathroom. The fumbling around in my daughter's room to find the light switch when she cried out for me at night.  The unfamiliar sounds, smells, and feel of a new home.  Not having a flow in the kitchen, a routine, or any sense or normalcy.  I wasn't expecting it to be so difficult. Perhaps I dreamed we would move in and I would immediately feel comfortable and cozy. But I didn't.  Nothing felt quite right.  The furniture seemed out of place, I couldn't find the perfect spot for all my things… and 8 gallons of paint alone was not enough to solve my discomfort. Even 1200 square feet of new carpet could not give me back my old home, my old sense of comfort and normalcy.  I missed my routines. Life seemed easier before the move.

That is Willie the wildcat peeking in on me thru
thru the sky-light in the bathroom.  Sneaky
little thing.
But while I was busy complaining about the work inside the home,  how giant spiders were taking over my world, and how nothing ever felt right…. good things were actually happening.

Since moving here Jack has started attending Sonshine pre-school in town.  He complains that he doesn't learn about space,  gravity, or all the novel ideas that he thought school would bring. He was disappointed that we sharpened all those pencils, placed them neatly in his pencil pouch, readied him for handwriting and math problems...and he never gets to use them.. but really he loves it.  They do creative arts and crafts everyday, they go on field trips, and he has new friends.  Apparently he has so many new friends that they bicker over who will get to sit by him. Luckily Jack hasn't really noticed this, but the other parents have started to comment toAdam and I about how much their kiddos talk about Jack.  He was even invited on his first 'date' by a sweetheart in his class (rumor has it she calls Jack her boyfriend :))
Jack exploring our backyard
Thru these friendships, I have made friendships.  These Moms are absolutely amazing.  Yesterday while Adam and I were at work, a fellow pre-school Mom volunteered to take Nona along with her as she chaperoned the  field trip to the fire station.  Then another Mom invited Jack to their house after school for a playdate.  Apparently on this play date my son (JACK) ate a dinner of sloppy joe's carrots and green beans.  They informed me that he ate great, and they had no idea he was a picky eater.  As I stood in shock, utter disbelief, Jack danced around me and talked in manic speed about his awesome day.  How he got to spray the fire hose at the fire station, how he ate green beans and carrots, and sang new songs at bible school.
While Jack is off having a blast at preschool, NonaJane has been spending her time at the new babysitter's house. Adam's co-workers wife, Meagan, has started babysitting for us during the week.  NonaJane loves her house so much that she rarely wants to leave to come home with me. She plays so hard with their daughter, Bella, that Nona normally falls asleep before we even make it out of town.  Nona gets excited and asks to go to Bella's house, and nothing makes my heart feel better then knowing that my kids are happy and excited about their new routines. Meagan has been so generous in sharing her home, and her time with my kids. She has been unbelievably flexible and laid back. So much so that I still can't get her to tell me how much she wants to be paid.  So I pay her on my own accord (which we all know can be dangerous with what a tightwad I am). So I pay her, and pray that she is not secretly hating me!
The leaves beginning to fall, and our pond full off in the distance (thanks to all those heavy rains!)
But as the night was coming to a close yesterday, I looked at my phone and saw a text inviting us for dinner and a movie Friday night at Meagan and Bella's house.  It all just hit me at once. I may no longer have neighbors that live next door. I may not be able to walk 20 feet to borrow an egg.  But, we are building a network of amazing friends in our new town.  New friends who are not only willing, but who volunteer to spend time with our kids, who invite us over, and who want to know us.  I'm thankful for this move. I'm thankful for our beautiful home and property, even if it did take me WAY out of my comfort zone.

NonaJane wearing my old shirt!







No comments:

Post a Comment