background

Monday, September 1, 2014

NonaJane and her BIG personality

Our beautiful daughter 
creativity at work
When Jack was 2, he got compliments everywhere we went. "Oh, how handsome!" "How smart!" "How well behaved!"  Jack was a people pleaser, and he loved the attention about as much as we did.  He knew how to smile and draw people in. In fact, this wasn't just when he was 2… it was really from the day he was born.  Even the nurses in the hospital informed me that he was just the cutest baby they had ever seen.  He was born with that stylish hair, and a smirkish grin that was just so charming. The nurses told me that they fought over who was going to get to care for him each day.
Along came NonaJane. A bit more on the bald side, and although very cute, none of the nurses seemed to be fighting over her.  As she grew, my feelings were hurt when everywhere we went she didn't naturally become the center of attention.  Now don't get me wrong, she gets her fair share of "oh, how cute!"  but she also brings in a large amount of "oh, she is feisty!" "looks like you have your hands full" and "she is a busy one!"
someone is about to get his cookie stolen...
But the other day we were at Panera, and NonaJane got the most sincere compliment that just made my heart burst. A woman stopped me on the way out and told me that she just HAD to tell me what a beautiful little girl we had. But her emphasis was on what a CHARACTER she was, that her personality was so BIG.  NonaJane had entertained her (unknowingly), and the woman said "she brightened my day." That a perfect stranger was able to see exactly what it is about NonaJane that makes her so amazing, just hit my heart in a special way. NonaJane is anything but ordinary. NonaJane doesn't smile because you ask her to (unless for a picture, then she is quite willing), but she smiles only with the purest of joy. NonaJane lives to bend the rules, to try the unexpected, and to experience life to the fullest. When Nona is happy, she is just over the moon. Dancing around, singing, and giggling in a way that could make any situation a good one.  When Nona is mad, she lets you know.  Nona is silly, imaginative, energetic, and creative.
Over the past week we got to attend a pre-school open house (for Jack) and two birthday parties. It turns out, NonaJane IS the center of attention, and knows how to party! At the pre-school open house she was proficient at bossing around the 3-4 year olds at the train table. They handed over their trains with wide eyes, backed themselves up each time she needed through, and for some reason let her run the show.  I sat right there and watched the whole debocle and couldn't figure out how she managed it… then one of the other parents smiled at me and said "what you have there, is an alpha child."  I think I'll take that as a compliment :)  At the birthday parties she preferred to be up front and center, assisting with the presents, finagling the toys and and new items away from the other children (which somehow she managed to do without making them cry… quite the  persuasive little one!)  In fact, all the other children we have met seem to REALLY like her.  Drawn to her in a way.  Perhaps I should take notes on how this is done...
assisting Johanna 
Perhaps with the third child on the way, I will be better prepared for the variety of ways that people may react to a child.  I won't let their brief interaction with my child hurt my feelings, or effect my perception of their behavior or abilities.  Jack and NonaJane have amazed me in different ways… I can't help but wonder what personality traits will I be bewildered by with the next one?

NonaJane and Makayla. The daughter of MY childhood friend. So neat to see these two together :)









14 weeks along



No comments:

Post a Comment