background

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Jack's spot

Somewhere along the way over the past year or so, Jack has made a habit of nestling himself into our bed.  He falls asleep alongside me at night, and when Adam gets home from work he carries Jack into his room and tucks him into his own bed.  But most nights… somewhere between 6 o'clock and 8:00 o'clock in the morning, we hear his door bang open and the pitter patter of little feet down the hall. He jumps up on the foot of our bed (where we handily placed an ottoman making it easier for him to make the climb) and crawls his way up to to the head of the bed.
Adam has been known to complain to others about how Jack plasters himself to his back, steals his pillow, and snuggles to him so tightly that he claims he will surely fall out of the bed (I've yet to see this happen).  Whereas I am left with 3/4 of a King size bed all to myself :) Nice and roomy, I can snooze right on thru the morning hours.
However this morning, my alarm had gone off to wake me for work. Only a few moments later I heard the familiar sounds of Jack's door opening and the pitter patter of his feet. As I felt him inching his way up to Adam's head (to hug and smother him like a small monkey) I softly whispered "here Jack, you can have my spot. I have to get up for work anyways."  To which I received the sweetest, honest, and most sincere reply:
"But Mom, I already have a spot."
 He proceeded to glue his body to Adam's and return to sleep.

I slipped out of bed and looked back to see flat lifeless sheets covering the majority of the bed, and one large lump where both Adam and Jack were nestled together on the edge. My heart swelled (as if it isn't hard enough to get out of bed before the sun) and I came to the conclusion that I will never pity Adam for his complaints.  This officially enters my records as one of the sweetest moments with Jack.  One of these days, Jack will no longer eagerly awake in the mornings just so he can come get in our bed.  Until then… I will rather enjoy the view from my roomy side of the bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment