background

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The 'no fun day'

It's 3 a.m.  and I'm writing a blog. Why? Because Dairy Queen was giving away free ice cream cones today, and I ate one.  Apparently this was a serious offense for little Matthew's tummy.  I've spent the last three hours feeding, rocking, consoling, soothing, and swaying... but his tummy won't let him sleep.  So for now, I will type. Besides... my brain is still busy processing what Jack told me tonight as I tucked him into bed. He informed me that today was "no fun". As I stared at him, half dumb-founded and half-livid... I resisted the urge to  inform him that he has no idea what a "no-fun" day looks like.  I reminded him of all the fun things he got to do today, kissed his head and tucked him in.  (He of course got back up 2 minutes later and ended up going to bed with me)
So here I sit, in the middle of the night, thinking thru our day: jumping on the trampoline, meeting friends at the park, a trip to the library, and a dairy queen ice cream cone...  what am I missing?? And then I remember, I remember the melt downs over blueberries being in his waffles.  That his sweatshirt was too soft (seriously, this was his actual complaint), and that his ice cream was vanilla and not chocolate... oh the sweet travesties of being a 5 year old.  Although the whining and meltdowns may drive me crazy... at the same time I am so thankful that the worst things in my child's day are the flavor of his ice-cream or the softness of his sweatshirt.
Someday, Jack, when you are all grown and reading this blog.  May you only have memories of the adventures and excitement of your childhood.  May you cherish the years when no troubles fell on your shoulders, and the only worries you had were trivial.  You are so loved- forever and ever.








No comments:

Post a Comment